May 1, 2023
This week Ivy Slater, host of Her Success Story, chats with her guest, Mackenzie Dimitri. The two talk about her practice, and the true-to-self approach she takes in litigation with a focus on collaboration, forward thinking, and problem solving.
In this episode, we discuss:
How her career path transitioned from investigative reporter to lawyer
Why she didn’t think litigation was a good fit for her, and what changed her mind
How Mackenzie found her niche in franchise law
What she does to find balance between work, home, and the many organizations that she’s a part of
What the pandemic did for her business and personal life
What business strategies she has found the most success in
What advice she has for becoming the best version of yourself
Mackenzie L. Dimitri is a partner at Einbinder & Dunn and an experienced litigator and franchise attorney. Mackenzie’s practice is split between litigation and transactional work. On the transactional side, she drafts and negotiates commercial contracts, including franchise agreements, development agreements, and franchise disclosure documents; negotiates business acquisitions; and advises on corporate organizational matters for clients in a variety of industries, including fitness, beauty, hospitality ,recruiting, transportation, childcare, entertainment, restaurant, and real estate. She also forms franchisee associations and works with franchisees to collectively bargain within their system and with outside vendors.
Mackenzie is also an experienced litigator, representing clients in trials and other dispute resolution forums nationwide. Mackenzie has successfully argued in federal and state courts around the country and has mediated and otherwise negotiated favorable settlements. She has a nuanced understanding of how each client’s business objectives relate to their goals in any given lawsuit.
Mackenzie is an active member of the American Bar Association’s Forum on Franchising, serving on the Women’s Caucus and previously serving on the Young Lawyer’s Division committee. Mackenzie is also a member of the International Franchise Association (“IFA”)’s Task Force. She has been asked by the IFA to publish and/or speak in 2020, 2021, and 2022, and was asked by her colleagues at the ABA to publish and speak in 2017 and 2022. Ms. Dimitri was also asked by her colleagues at the ABA to author a chapter of the Franchisee Handbook regarding dispute resolution strategies upon termination or expiration of a franchise agreement. Ms. Dimitri has hosted webinars on regulatory issues for franchisors, and presented at the International Franchise Expos in New York and Miami in May 2019 and February 2020. Ms. Dimitri is also a regularly contributing ‘blogger’ on E&D’s legal blogs.
Ms. Dimitri’s notable recent publications include:
· Bringing a Knife to a Gun Fight? Preventing or Limiting Post-Termination Competition Without a Non-Compete, American Bar Association (November 2022)
· The Franchisee Handbook, Chapter 9: Claims Typically Made at the End of the Franchise Relationship, ABA Forum on Franchising (November 2022)
· Maximizing Recovery in a Franchise Case, International Franchise Association (Moderator) (May 2022)
· Social Justice Issues, International Franchise Association (May 2021)
· TheFranchise Deskbook, Third Edition, New York Chapter, ABA Forum on Franchising (July 2019) Enforcing the Bargain or Buying Your Way Out? The Right to Specific Performance in Franchise Agreements versus the Concept of Efficient Breach, American Bar Association (October 2017)
· Defense for Nondisclosure of Liability for Lost Profits, The Franchise Lawyer (July 2016)
· What You Need to Know Before Buying a Franchise, Franchising USA Magazine (July 2014)
· How Much Money Will I Make From my Franchise? Franchising USA Magazine (March 2014)
· Pending Franchise Litigation - What Franchisors and Franchisees Need to Know, Franchising USA Magazine (February 2014)
· Franchising Your Business, Franchising USA Magazine (December 2013)
· The Franchise Desk Book, Third Edition, New York Chapter, ABA Forum on Franchising (July 2019)